xwayland + radeon = consistent filesystem corruption Re: I'm the only one getting hard drive errors, right?

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Tue Sep 4 00:56:09 PDT 2012

Somebody mentioned I failed to point out here that both of these, three
months apart, mention the same inode:

On 09/03, darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
> [732715.730069] EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_ext_search_left:1275: inode #21374007: comm flush-8:0: ix (10742) != EXT_FIRST_INDEX (0) (depth 1)!

> On 05/30, darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
> > [  496.347230] EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_ext_search_left:1275: inode #21374007: comm flush-8:0:ix (10742) != EXT_FIRST_INDEX (0) (depth 1)!

Part of Ted Ts'o's response:

> If you did run e2fsck, and the file system corruptions was fixed
> between the two times that you saw the EXT4-fs error message, then
> that is very interesting.  I would discount scribbling over kernel
> memory, since it would be pretty unusual that the exact same inode and
> the exact same block had gotten corrupted in exactly the same way.  It
> could be a bug in the graphics driver, perhaps triggered by the way
> Wayland is using said graphics driver.
>
> That also seems fairly hard to credit, so I'm going to hope you didn't
> actually run e2fsck to fix the file system corruption....

I know last time this happened the first thing I did was reboot and let
fsck do whatever it wanted.  Seems unlikely that this would've been missed.

I agree this all seems incredibly unlikely, and would love suggestions.

--
"A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
-Grace Murray Hopper