[RFC] weston: Sony clickpad support

Thomas Daede daede003 at umn.edu
Tue Aug 13 11:10:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:31 AM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov
> <patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2013/8/12 David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> The implementation looks quite nice. I will not comment on the code
>>> individually, though. I'd really like to see a libtouchpad which
>>> implements all that logic. Once we start adding device drivers to
>>> weston, we will end up with a mess where we have to port it to each
>>> compositor we write. If gnome-shell becomes a compositor, it needs to
>>> implement this again.
>>>
>>> libxkbcommon already abstracted the keyboard handling. Why not do the
>>> same for touchpads? The "wl_touch" interface to weston is already
>>> standardized, so all this library needs to provide is a state-machine
>>> that converts evdev events into something similar to wl_touch.
>>>
>>> It's currently on my TODO list, so feel free to ignore it. But imho we
>>> should try to keep user-space input drivers separate to allow reuse
>>> and uniform configurations.
>>
>> If you set up a git repository for libtouchpad, I will help with the code there.
>>
>> OTOH I don't yet agree with the use of wl_touch as the output of such
>> library. In the wl_touch documentation, touchscreens are mentioned,
>> not touchpads. With touchpads, people often talk about moving the
>> pointer, hovering, clicking and scrolling (even though scrolling is a
>> gesture), and that fits better under wl_pointer.
>
> Whoops, sure, wl_mouse it is. I just confused wl_touch with touchpads, sorry.
>
> I did think about it a bit more and I guess pushing into weston is
> fine so far. But once we start duplicating it for gnome-shell/etc. we
> should start thinking about a separate library.
>
> I will happily create a repository, but that will have to wait until
> late September as I am swamped with gsoc work until then.
>
> Cheers
> David

There are several strange hardware devices like this that are popping
up and need some sort of configuration that isn't provided by the
kernel - motion sensor physical orientation is another one. I hate to
be the one to suggest a new HAL
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal/) but it would be nice
for the hardware database libraries to be somewhat coherent.