[RFC] weston: Sony clickpad support

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 03:40:47 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 01:31:35PM +0200, David Herrmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov
> <patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2013/8/12 David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> The implementation looks quite nice. I will not comment on the code
> >> individually, though. I'd really like to see a libtouchpad which
> >> implements all that logic. Once we start adding device drivers to
> >> weston, we will end up with a mess where we have to port it to each
> >> compositor we write. If gnome-shell becomes a compositor, it needs to
> >> implement this again.
> >>
> >> libxkbcommon already abstracted the keyboard handling. Why not do the
> >> same for touchpads? The "wl_touch" interface to weston is already
> >> standardized, so all this library needs to provide is a state-machine
> >> that converts evdev events into something similar to wl_touch.
> >>
> >> It's currently on my TODO list, so feel free to ignore it. But imho we
> >> should try to keep user-space input drivers separate to allow reuse
> >> and uniform configurations.
> >
> > If you set up a git repository for libtouchpad, I will help with the code there.
> >
> > OTOH I don't yet agree with the use of wl_touch as the output of such
> > library. In the wl_touch documentation, touchscreens are mentioned,
> > not touchpads. With touchpads, people often talk about moving the
> > pointer, hovering, clicking and scrolling (even though scrolling is a
> > gesture), and that fits better under wl_pointer.
>
> Whoops, sure, wl_mouse it is. I just confused wl_touch with touchpads, sorry.
>
> I did think about it a bit more and I guess pushing into weston is
> fine so far. But once we start duplicating it for gnome-shell/etc. we
> should start thinking about a separate library.

Hi,

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a libpointer instead. I don't see
why touchpads needs its own repository, especially since functionality
can be shared between the generic pointer code and touchpad code, maybe
even multi touch code; most relevant today regarding this would be
acceleration. In weston right now, the acceleration code for touchpads
is split in two parts - one touchpad specific part and one generic
filtering part implementing the acceleration similar to how its done in
xorg. The idea is to reuse the filtering part for regular pointer
devices.

Also, wouldn't be reasonable to keep the input drivers in weston, but
provide an external API only for this part, that can be reused by mutter
etc?

Jonas