Payload size and text.xml in weston

Michael Hasselmann michael at taschenorakel.de
Fri Dec 13 00:13:26 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 18:23 -0600, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> Elvis,
>
> On Dec 12, 2013 2:08 AM, "Elvis Lee(KwangWoong Lee)"
> <kwangwoong.lee at lge.com> wrote:
> > While using text protocol in Weston, we encountered some cases which
> exceeds the limitation.
> >
> > For example, "set_surrounding_text" carries a string which is longer
> than 1024 bytes.

Surround text is usually the current paragraph or sentence. Use-case is
text prediction via text n-grams for instance, which only needs a few
neighboring words to work out.

I'd be curious to know which use-cases you tried to implement to hit the
buffer limit. That is, if you can disclose them of course.

> > 1.     Restricts input size of text box in UX.

That's a property of the text editor, not necessarily the input method.
Read: client-side decision/controlled by UI toolkit.

> > 2.     Restricts the string size of “set_surrounding_text”. (Then
> how can I handle delete_surrounding_text properly?)

Could you please explain in more detail? Sounds as if you think some
parameter or such is missing. There's always the possibility we got some
details wrong when designing the protocol ;-)

ciao Michael