Testing the Wayland backend for Dolphin-Emu

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:42:37 PST 2013

Hi 小龙 陈,

Thanks for testing. I did not have time to try very many possible cases.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM, 小龙 陈 <chillermillerlong at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> questions (I'm no developer :D) or if there's anything else you would like
> me
> to test.
>
> Best Regards,
> Xiao-Long Chen
>

> ----------
> Build info
> ----------
> Dolphin-Emu Git Master
>  -> cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/dolphin-emu-master \
>              -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
>
> Dolphin-Emu Wayland-EGL Branch
>  -> Built against wayland commit: df1a934b8b24c9227d427f3035007867993a6612
>     and weston commit:            1cc9e08d2fbd59e34cf5009acd5067a6b171c20a
>     and mesa commit:              dd599188d2868838541859a76800a8420958d358
>  -> CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/wayland/include -L/opt/wayland/lib" \
>       cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/dolphin-emu-wayland \
>                -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/dolphin-emu-wayland \
>                -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
>                -DUSE_EGL=1     \
>                -DDISABLE_WX=1  \
>                -DUSE_X11=1     \
>                -DUSE_WAYLAND=1
>
> -------
> Testing
> -------
> The testing was done on a Lenovo W520 with Intel Sandy Bridge graphics and
> an
> NVIDIA Quadro 2000m. I used the Intel GPU because nouveau has rendering
> issues
> with dolphin. The game tested was Super Smash Bros Brawl (for Wii).
>
> The system is running Ubuntu 13.04 with wayland, weston, and mesa compiled
> from
> git. I did record videos of all of the tests, but they don't really show
> anything. Ffmpeg with x11grab had a ~40% performance hit, recordmydesktop
> was
> incredibly stuttery and had a low bitrate, and Weston's built in recorder
> had a
> ~60% performance hit in full screen mode (and a 10GB file).
>
> Needless to say, the videos are useless, so I'll write my general findings
> on
> the quality.
>
> ----------------------
> Dolphin-Emu Git Master
> ----------------------
> Windowed (640x480)
>  -> X11: Always 60 fps
>
> Full Screen (1920x1080)
>  -> X11: Usually 60 fps (with no compositing), 49~52 fps (with compositing)
>
> ------------------------------
> Dolphin-Emu Wayland-EGL Branch
> ------------------------------
> Windowed (640x480)
>  -> X11:     Unplayable:
>                Sometimes it runs at 60 fps, but the area from the bottom
> right
>                corner of the window to the center of the window
> continuously
>                flickers. Other parts of the screen are also corrupted
> while the
>                game is running.
>                Other times, the game runs at 0~16 fps and the top ~15% of

This sounds like what I experienced using the GLX path.

>  -> Wayland: Usually 60 fps with occasional slowdown to 57 fps
>
> Full Screen (1920x1080)
>  -> X11:     Unplayable: same as in windowed mode

X11+EGL seem to work ok here in windowed and fullscreen.

>  -> Wayland: 57~60 fps with occasional slowdown to 53 fps

It is noteworthy that the maximum frames per second should never exceed the
refresh rate of your monitor, with the current mesa EGL implementation.

> -------
> Quality
> -------
> X11 without compositing was pretty stuttery at times, especially when the
> game
> slowed down (ie. with 4 players in SSBB). With compositing enabled, the
> game
> was slow, but it was very smooth.
>
> Under wayland, the gameplay was very smooth like in X11 w/compositing, but
> it
> felt much faster. The fps generally stayed around 60 fps, except during the
> graphically intensive parts of the game. I was not able to find any
> rendering
> issues that didn't exist in X (or Windows, for that matter).
>
> X with EGL was completely unplayable. The problems with rendering makes it
> very hard to press the buttons necessary to even enter the game.

Thanks for your review. It's nice to have informative testers.

- Scott