Creating a Window Manager to use Wayland (that's not in C)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 00:26:58 PST 2013

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:24:44 -0800
kristof <saposcat at myopera.com> wrote:

> I'm planning on creating a rather minimal Haskell based
> compositor/window-manager for use with the Wayland display server
> protocol. After some reading, I've come to the conclusion that I need to
> create a Haskell API for the Wayland protocol by using the xml provided
> (I'll be using the one from the 1.0.3 release), have a rendering library
> that also has Haskell bindings (Cairo will serve nicely for this purpose,
> which already has Haskell bindings available), and also create bindings
> for xkb, before I can start working on the compositor and window-manager.
> Am I missing anything?

Hi,

maybe the EGL bits, if you plan to support hardware accelerated
graphics on clients, but I think that's optional. Hardware accelerated
clients will basically give you an EGLImage in the server, which you
usually turn into GL textures.

As for the language bindings, this might be of interest to comment on:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-December/006861.html