Issues with running Xclient using xwayland.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:41:07 PST 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:23:35 +0530
ashjas <ashjas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a nvdia card and for that i have built xf86-video-nouveau DDX.
> The only .so that this DDX installs is the nouveau_drv.so ...
> ------------------------------------
> Making install in src
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/abc/wayland/xf86-video-nouveau/src'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/abc/wayland/xf86-video-nouveau/src'
> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
> test -z "/home/abc/WAYLANDINSTALLDIR/lib/xorg/modules/drivers" ||
> /bin/mkdir -p "/home/abc/WAYLANDINSTALLDIR/lib/xorg/modules/drivers"
>  /bin/bash ../libtool   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c
> nouveau_drv.la'/home/abc/WAYLANDINSTALLDIR/lib/xorg/modules/drivers'
> libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/nouveau_drv.so
> /home/abc/WAYLANDINSTALLDIR/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
> libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/nouveau_drv.lai
> /home/abc/WAYLANDINSTALLDIR/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.la
> libtool: finish:
> PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/sbin"
> ldconfig -n /home/abc/WAYLANDINSTALLDIR/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
>
> and the nouveau_drv.so is being loaded while forking the Xorg as can be
> seen in the Xorg.log file i attached in my previous mail
> http://pastebin.com/4duR0s1J
>
> there are some modules that are failing to load like the nv,vesa,fbdev etc
> modues.. moreover i cant find these modules in xorg/modules/drivers/
> directory..
>
> are these modules that are failing really required? if yes.. how to build
> them? as after following all the steps in the xwayland build guide. i dont
> end up having these modules..

The X server must not use the modules nv, vesa, or fbdev, since they
are not Wayland-enabled drivers. Having them fail is ok and intentional.
Something else is the problem.

The only other compatible Wayland-enabled driver with a nvidia card is
the xf86-video-wlshm, which does not depend on any particular hardware.