Wayland GTK+ support is in Ubuntu, Fedora, and Gentoo

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Mon Jan 28 10:19:55 PST 2013

This leaves Arch conspicuously missing it, but when I opened a bug
requesting it, they increased the severity and assigned two people,
which seems promising.

I think this is pretty cool, because it marks the first native wayland
support included in major distros.  For clients that don't use the wayland
protocol directly.

Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/954352
  (I find this Ubuntu saga entertaining.)
Fedora: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/173778
Gentoo: http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-libs/gtk+
Arch: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33577

I updated http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/state/
I converted the section on distro support to a table:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/state/#distributions

My page of what gtk applications work with wayland is pretty out of date,
so Martin Minarik started a wiki page to list updated info:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/wiki/Wayland_what_works
You're encouraged to add to / update it.

The thing I'm looking forward to most is the xwm-client stuff Tiago
Vignatti is working on.  Because when I last tried using weston as
my primary UI, I was getting some occasional xwayland crashes, which
I think I was told were tough to debug before xwm is split out to a
separate client.  But I just noticed this split might not be deemed
worthwhile, and I guess I need to check for those crashes again.

After that, I'm looking forward to xwayland (x.org modifications) getting
committed upstream so it can also be included in distros.

The other big thing is Qt5, which was released on 2012-12-19.  I suspect
there are no distros that include official packages at all yet, let alone
including wayland support.  And I think there are still very few
applications which have been ported (from older Qt releases, which is
required).

There are three workarounds for Ubuntu specific bugs related to using the
Wayland backend of GTK+ near the top of
https://launchpad.net/~darxus/+archive/wayland-gtk-quantal

--
"The most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning
of wisdom is: 'I do not know'." - Data, ST:TNG 2x2 Where Silence Has Lease