weston and hardware keyboard

Marc Chalain marc.chalain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 01:15:03 PDT 2013

Hello,
linux/input.h gives numbers of key definitions. The keymap is only useful
for PC keyboard when only the layout change from one country to an other.
On device we have : on/off, softkey1, softkey2, 12 keys for the keypad in
some cases, home, back... The key codes are hard coded inside the kernel.
When we add a keymap, we add codes, and time of treatment, and remove
resources. On some devices we have only 128Mb of RAM, we can keep a big
table in memory just to change KEY_LEFT to XKB_KEY_Left.
An other reason to disabling the keymap it's for sillicium founder. They
have to provide the backend for the GPU. They have not enough time to
manage a complete keyboard that the customer will change immediately. When
we build a BSP for a new board, we have to build the minimum of softwares,
like that we can develop with the most recent version of the kernel or the
graphic libraries.
Regards,
Marc.