Getting GTK XWayland applications to use the system's GTK theme

Rune Kjær Svendsen runesvend at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 20:16:27 PST 2013

Hello list

I'm having trouble getting GTK applications running as XWayland client to
use my system's GTK theme. I run Ubuntu 12.10, and everything just works
wrt. GTK themes here (with Unity and compiz). But when I run weston
(whether it be using the DRM or X backend) and launch GTK clients, most of
them load a different theme than Ubuntu's default one (Ambiance).

Here's a screenshot showcasing different applications running as XWayland
clients with the DRM backend: http://i.imgur.com/lvUbYIb.png

It seems that some pick up the right GTK theme (font viewer looks good, and
gedit and gnome-control-center also look good, although they don't use the
grey buttons), but most of them don't.

What could be the cause of this?

/Rune