Getting GTK XWayland applications to use the system's GTK theme

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 00:04:54 PST 2013

Hi Rune,

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Rune Kjær Svendsen <runesvend at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I'm having trouble getting GTK applications running as XWayland client to
> use my system's GTK theme.

In traditional X, the client draws it's content and the window manager or
other process decorates the windows. It's not much different with xwayland.
Xwayland clients draw their contents and the window manager draws the
decorations. In this case, the window manager is a special window manager
integrated with weston. As it stands currently, weston's xwm draws a static
decoration for all xwayland surfaces and does not support theming.

> I run Ubuntu 12.10, and everything just works wrt. GTK themes here (with
> Unity and compiz). But when I run weston (whether it be using the DRM or X
> backend) and launch GTK clients, most of them load a different theme than
> Ubuntu's default one (Ambiance).
>
> Here's a screenshot showcasing different applications running as XWayland
> clients with the DRM backend: http://i.imgur.com/lvUbYIb.png
>
> It seems that some pick up the right GTK theme (font viewer looks good,
> and gedit and gnome-control-center also look good, although they don't use
> the grey buttons), but most of them don't.
>
> What could be the cause of this?

For gtk applications, you should use the native gtk+ wayland backend. You
can optionally build the wip/csd branch of gtk+ master for decorations.
There is no theming support in this branch, as far as I know.

> /Rune

- Scott