General questions

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 03:17:46 PDT 2013

Hi

2013/3/13 daniel mosquera <milkatoffeecuco at gmail.com>:
> Hello.
>
> My name is Daniel Mosquera and I'm creating a C++ toolkit to develop
> applications directly in Wayland. At the current time I've just developed
> the core (strings, files, serialization, delegates, threading,
> synchronization, network, sqlite3 and some other components) and I'm looking
> for some advise about two topics:
> - I'm thinking about to release it with MIT or BSD license to make it
> directly compatible with commercial and open source applications. I want
> anyone to use it without any restriction. I'm not very familiarized with
> license stuff, so could you advise me any license in particular?

Me, myself, i'd go with LGPL, but that's a personal preference, and i
don't think anyone can tell on a technical basis one it's better than
the others.

> - Where can I find wayland examples to create a window and to draw some text
> in it? Where can I find an example to create a text widget?

I think the better place is in the already existing toolkits backend,
e.g. QtWayland: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtwayland
Anyway, you won't find a text widget in it (or any other widget type).
In Wayland you draw everything client side, so you need something like
cairo.
Otherwise you can look at Weston's toytoolkit, but i found that to not
be so clear.