Compiz is Dead - Beryl Lives Again? Enter - Northfield/Norwood

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 11:59:22 PDT 2013

Hi Casey,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51:07PM -0600, Scott Moreau wrote:
>> Yes, there is no reason to fork libwayland. And I don't feel this is a
>> true fork, just a temporary rename to avoid the confusion it might
>> otherwise cause, remaining under the 'wayland' name. Wayland has been
>> in my github repo since I've uploaded it there. The only difference
>> now is, the name has been changed and an official fork announcement
>> has been made by request.
>
> ...ok. I'll leave how exactly that's less confusing as an exercise to the
> reader.
>
> Seriously, if you'd just forked Weston and left Wayland alone I'd be on your
> side. Even happy. This, however, is just making a political mess.
>
> --CJD

I'm not sure where the confusion is. Northfield == Wayland but with a
few changes to wl_shell_surface interface for minimize/maximize/close
stuff. These changes are actually being discussed on the mailing list
for possible review and inclusion. Once these basic events/requests go
upstream, there will not be a need for northfield as a patched version
of wayland. In reality, this is just a project name that !wayland. The
need for this custom libwayland is only necessary until the new
protocol is pushed upstream at which point, this need should be
eliminated.

- Scott