Why Scott Moreau got kicked out Re: Scott Moreau Banned From Official Wayland IRC Channel

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Tue Mar 26 16:24:42 PDT 2013

On 03/27, RenoX wrote:
>    While I won't comment about the ban itself, I'm not so sure that this
>    part:
>    [1]darxus at chaosreigns.com�wrote:
>    > The final problem was that, despite his proclamations that he intended to
>    > keep his forks compatible with wayland, he refused to use the existing
>    > mechanism to retain protocol compatibility to make the protocol changes he
>    > needed, without providing a reason.�

>    I'm not a wayland expert, but if memory serves he did provide a reason for
>    the minimize part, he thought that it should be introduced at the same
>    point as the maximize request which is in the wayland protocol.

Thiago explained how to do that while using the existing mechanisms to
maintain compatibility:

On 03/25, Scott Moreau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > What we're asking is that you avoid forking Wayland at all. Don't change the
> > library, don't change the default extensions (including wl_shell), don't add
> > new default extensions. You said you want to avoid incompatible changes: well,
> > avoiding the fork also avoids the temptation.
> >
> > Try to do your changes in a different extension. Copy the current wl_shell into
> > a new one and modify it to your heart's desire. If, at the end of your
> > experiment, you conclude that the current wl_shell is flawed by design, then
> > Wayland should deprecate it and adopt yours. On the other hand, if we conclude
> > that your improvements can be added incrementally, we can simply do exactly
> > that.
>
> This sounds great but this is not the solution I have come up with.
>
> > I'll ping you on IRC to discuss this. Several people have asked you to do it
> > and you have either missed the point or failed to explain to us why the fork
> > is necessary.

Basically instead of forking both wayland (the protocol library) and weston
(the reference implementation), he should just fork weston, and copy and
paste the protocol stuff into his weston fork, and then modify it there.

--
"Eh, wisdom's overrated. I prefer beatings and snacks."
- Unity, Skin Horse