Helping in reviewing

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 01:32:44 PDT 2013

Hi,

2013/3/27 Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:09:48 -0700
> Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> So whenever you see a change that you think you can provide input on, do so.
>> If you don't feel like saying it's completely fine, say so too. The initial
>> review you provide on simpler things (coding style, thread-safety, etc.) is
>> already helping.
>
> Anyone can review coding style, but what if we massage coding style and
> other minor details back and forth a lot, and then someone does a
> proper subjective review NAK'ing the whole idea, or at least forcing a
> complete rewrite. Is that review and improvement work wasted for
> nothing, or is it useful?

I think it's only useful to the submitter to learn about the project's
coding style but...

> That is a reason why I do not feel comfortable in reviewing just the
> minor details, if I can't tell whether the whole idea or approach is
> good.

I agree with you, it's better to focus on the core idea first. Coding
style is just extra noise.

IMHO, people should not review coding style, unless this is a real
issue. e.g. the submitter completely messes up, massively. If coding
style really matters for a project, then you can just enforce it with
a git hook that calls indent or uncrustify or whatever suits your
needs. Or do it locally, before pushing or re-submitting.

Regards,
Gwenole.