protocol questions

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 22:31:34 PDT 2013

Here are a few questions/observations I had while studying the protocol docs:

- The use of serials in events seems a bit inconsistent. Most
wl_pointer events have serials, but axis doesn't. wl_keyboard
enter/leave events do. wl_data_offer.enter does, but the corresponding
leave/motion events don't. Is there a rationale for this ?

- Various input events have a time field. The spec doesn't really say
anything about this. What is it good for, and what units are these -
monotonic time ?

- It looks like I can't trigger a popup from a key or touch event,
because set_popup requires a serial that corresponds to an implicit
pointer grab. That is sad, I like the menu key...

- Still on popups, I don't see a way for the client to dismiss the
popup, or is that handled by just destroying the surface ?

- Buffer transformations - fun. How do these relate to each of the following ?
   - resize edges
   - transient offset
   - buffer attach x/y
   - input/opaque/damage regions
   - surface x/y in motion events

- What is a wl_touch.frame event ? Weston doesn't seem to generate those...

- Various strings in the protocol: title, class, output model/make.
Are all of these required/known to be UTF-8 ? The class is documented
as being a file path, which is bad news wrt to encodings...

- The wl_pointer interface seems to be a bit weak wrt to device
properties. I would at least expect to learn about the number of
buttons and right-handed vs left-handed, etc.

Thanks for any insights you can share about these questions.

Matthias