protocol questions

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 03:29:09 PDT 2013

2013/3/30 Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen at gmail.com>

> Here are a few questions/observations I had while studying the protocol
> docs:
>
> - The use of serials in events seems a bit inconsistent. Most
> wl_pointer events have serials, but axis doesn't. wl_keyboard
> enter/leave events do. wl_data_offer.enter does, but the corresponding
> leave/motion events don't. Is there a rationale for this ?
>
> - Various input events have a time field. The spec doesn't really say
> anything about this. What is it good for, and what units are these -
> monotonic time ?

The time can be used to calculate whether two clicks are a double click for
instance. The timestamps are sent by evdev, and i think they are monotonic,
but i'm not sure.

> - It looks like I can't trigger a popup from a key or touch event,
> because set_popup requires a serial that corresponds to an implicit
> pointer grab. That is sad, I like the menu key...

Yes, this is a known bug which needs to be addressed.

> - Still on popups, I don't see a way for the client to dismiss the
> popup, or is that handled by just destroying the surface ?

I think the only other way apart destroying it is unmapping it, that is
attaching a null buffer to the surface.