Axis events to keyboard focus (Re: Input and games.)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu May 9 15:24:24 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 11:19:58AM -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
>
> >plus, it's not clear which axes/buttons on the gamepad represent axis
> >movement for pointers.
>
> I think that is going to have to be figured out anyway. There
> certainly was a lot of talk about having the "same" buttons on
> different gamepads produce events that the client can tell resemble
> each other without having knowledge about the gamepad.

pump this through a client-side library to convert it for them. configuring
this is fairly complex with the different demands for different clients and
the differing capabilities of the gamepad hardware.

> >and I have too much experience with sending multiple
> >protocol events from a single physical event so I can't stress the
> >"don't go there" enough.
>
> It would not send multiple protocol events. There would be no
> gamepad events until the client opens the gamepad device, at this
> moment it would stop moving the shared pointer and stop sending
> mouse movement events.

assuming we have two clients C1, C2, and C1 has the gamepad open, what is
the behaviour of the gamepad and the shared pointer:

- when the gp-controlled pointer enters/leaves C1's surface
- when the gp-controlled pointer enters and clicks inside the surface
- when the compositor changes the keyboard and/or gamepad focus to C1's
  surface while the gp-controlled pointer is inside or outside the surface,
  respectively
- when the mouse-controlled pointer enters and/or clicks C1's surface
- when the mouse-controlled pointer leaves the surface while a gamepad
  button is held down
  - when the gamepad presses a button after the mouse-controlled pointer has
    left the surface
- if a keyboard event triggers a compositor shortcut immediately followed by
  a gamepad button event (e.g. alt-tab followed by gamepad button 1 press,
  does this select the window currently underneath the pointer?)
- what is the position of the cursor between the gamepad detached and
  reattached to pointer mode

Cheers,
   Peter