Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:34:49 PST 2013

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 18 de novembro de 2013 10:28:12, Bill Spitzak wrote:
>> Can you explain why "consistency" is so important for the window frame,
>> but is not a problem for the buttons and scrollbars and text fields and
>> everything else inside the frame?
>
> I personally think that it is a problem. IMO, toolkits should provide a way
> for an application to deeply integrate with the environment that they're
> running in and have as best as possible look and feel and behaviour.
>
> Maybe that's a race we can't win. But I do think we should try.

I agree that it may be impossible, but it should be tried. And I think
an important first step is to treat the window frames and the rest of
the widgets the same, using the same library to draw them both.

I think the solution is to try to come up with a minimal library with no
"objects" (except maybe a "context" that is reused for every call). It
would be something like "draw the outline of a button here with the
pressed-in state" and "tell me the box to draw the label in for a button
drawn here". The existence of the button is not stored by the library,
the bounding box is passed to the calls.

Qt's QStyle are a pretty good first approximation.