Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Jesse K jessek123456 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 02:09:16 PST 2013

Hi,

What about having a theme definition service for graphical environment?
This theme definition would contains  "hints" about windows decorations,
colors, fonts, textures, and much more.
The hints could only be recommendations - not requirements. The toolkits,
shells, CSD, SSD should ideally use these hints to give a more consistent
user experience.

I think the benefits would be:
1.  Better Visual consistency between applications in a windows environment
2. (optional) Visual consistency between the windows environments on the
same computer
3. The level of integration is optional - toolkits and windows environment
can select the level of integration they want
4. It's extensible, new hints and level of integration of toolkits /
windows environment could be developed at their own pace
5. Separation of concern - theme definition service would NOT do any
rendering, only supply hints/recommendations
6. Equal beneficial for both CSD / SSD
7. Technical neutral regarding CSD / SSD

Is this feasible?