[RFC] wl_surface video protocol extension

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Oct 28 22:45:46 CET 2013

Hi,

On 28 October 2013 21:13, Axel Davy <davy at clipper.ens.fr> wrote:
> On 28/10/2013, Daniel Stone wrote :
>>> For programers having to cope with X and Wayland, and to better support
>>> the
>>> Present extension, I reiterate my suggestion
>>> to do something similar to the X Present extension.
>>
>> Anything in particular? I'm well aware of Present, but am not entirely
>> sure what you're suggesting to do different.
>>
> I would like the extension incorporate the use of ust times to target, and
> the feedback contains the ust of when the frame has hit the screen.

That's what they do ...

> About the number of interfaces and the difficulty to implement a compositor:
> Isn't the goal of versioning the ability to add functionalities with new
> version, that compositors with older version doesn't need to implement?

Sure, but if they came in version 4, then we wouldn't be able to add
new functionality in version 5 without it also requiring timed
presentation queues, as the versions are strictly linear/additive.
Anything more fine-grained than that is, well, another interface.

Cheers,
Daniel