Absolute coordinates using "wl_shell_surface_set_transient"

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 06:21:17 PDT 2013

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:41:50 +0200
Tarnyko <tarnyko at tarnyko.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Wayland/Weston 1.2 here ; I recently needed to display a surface using
> absolute coordinates. Let's say, 100x100 starting from the upper left corner
> of the compositor.
>
> So here is the (working) approach I used :
>
> window->surface = wl_compositor_create_surface (display->compositor);
> window->shell_surface = wl_shell_get_shell_surface (display->shell,
> window->surface);
> wl_shell_surface_set_transient (window->shell_surface, window->surface, 100,
> 100, 0);
>

> It works this way, surface always displays at 100x100.
> But my question is : is it supposed to work in the first place ? And will it
> still be working in future releases ?

Yeah, that behaviour is a bug. A surface cannot be its own parent, so
the position you get is just luck. Actually, your client should get
killed by a protocol error, but it seems we miss that check in weston.

Actually you're double lucky, because if transient surfaces were
implemented properly with transformation inheritance, weston would
probably hang, and this bug would be more obvious.

Also I'm not sure if mapping a transient for an unmapped parent is
supposed to work... that's a nice can of worms you found there ;-)