How can I start wayland at boot?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 01:38:15 PDT 2014

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:46:54 +0100
Michael Johnson <mikeyj001 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to start wayland as a service?  I haven't seen any info on this.

Hi,

first you need to pick the compositor you want, since Wayland
is not a runnable program. The service you are likely looking for
is a display/login manager.

I think running would be done by using some display manager, but I
have never set that up, and I don't know what kind of support
exists at this time, nor which display manager you should look at.

That would probably the proper way, but there are also ways to hack
it, e.g. I have once done an auto-login hack that spawned Weston
on a new VT on Raspberry Pi, straight to logged-in desktop.

Depends on what you are looking for.