How can I start wayland at boot?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 06:21:52 PDT 2014

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:09:47 +0100
Michael Johnson <mikeyj001 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Pekka,
>
> I wasn't expecting any display managers to be ready for wayland/weston yet, but I was just hoping that I could create a service/daemon so that it would start as soon as I logged in, and not have any issues when logging in to multiple terminals.  For that I guess I'd need to know what dependencies need to be started first.  I have no clue on that.

Hi,

please use reply-to-all, and do not top-post.

Oh, you want it to go graphical after logging in, not at boot.
Well, any personal start-up script that runs weston-launch if it's
not already running should be enough. That's not really a service,
you can do that with any shell login scripts. There are no
additional dependencies for Weston, but other desktop environments
have other ways to start them manually, with all the needed daemons.

There is no such thing as a "Wayland service" or a daemon.

So, it depends on what compositor/DE you choose. I guess each one
of them has their own way to pick the Wayland flavour. I don't
know if there is anything we can say in general.

Or are you referring to systemd user sessions?

Have you tried running your DE of choice manually yet? I assume the
very same command would work from a login script with some checks
whether it is running already.