Multiple Display Support

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 04:29:52 PDT 2014

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:04:08 +0530
Abhijit Potnis <abhijitpotnis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> I have a doubt regarding Wayland/Weston's support for multiple displays. I
> am of the assumption that "multiple display" means support of two or more
> monitors(or displays) simultaneously like a extended desktop mode and the
> ability to drag-and-drop windows from one display to the other.
>
> Am I right regarding my understanding of "multiple display" support in
> Wayland ?

Yes.

> I am are running Wayland/Weston 1.5 on the TI Jacinto J6 board with two
> displays connected ( via HDMI and LCD connectors ). I am unable to get the
> extended display started. Do I have to change/add any thing in the
> weston.ini file to get the extended display started ?

AFAIK, Weston-DRM automatically takes all connected outputs into use,
unless specifically told not to in weston.ini, or the kernel reports
them as disconnected.

I assume fbcon runs fine cloned to both displays, right?

You are using Weston with the DRM backend, right?

Fbdev-backend cannot deal with more than one output.