Is there any way to let compositor set the data in client space and then return back to client?

Wang, Quanxian quanxian.wang at intel.com
Sun Feb 9 17:58:20 PST 2014

From: magcius at gmail.com [mailto:magcius at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jasper St. Pierre
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 12:23 AM
To: Wang, Quanxian
Cc: wayland-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: Is there any way to let compositor set the data in client space and then return back to client?

Well, there's not really anything that allows process A to arbitrarily modify process B's memory. The only thing that's close is memory-mapped files, and that's already what we use to share image data between the client and the compositor.
There's also memfd, which is "more secure" than a memory-mapped tmpfile, simply because it allows sealing the fd, so you can be sure it will never change as you try to read from it. But memfd isn't a public API yet.

What exactly are you trying to do here?
[Wang, Quanxian] I want to create a protocol to get the output data from compositor, I don't know where to put it for client.  So shared memory should be a good way to do that. Anyway,  I need to check it how to make it happen. Thanks for your idea.