Weston : ideas about xdg_sell, and implementation for a taskbar

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Thu Jan 30 18:08:19 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>
>      A simple problem is a floating window shared by two main windows.
>>
>> Can you give a concrete example of such a case? Not because I'm assuming
>> none exist, but because I want a specific example to evaluate and think
>> about.
>>

> A toolbox over a painting program that has two documents open.

So, what is the expected behavior here exactly? There's a minimize button
on both of the content window's decorations, and clicking on one should
minimize all three windows?

What should using the "minimize keyboard shortcut" functionality of your
compositor do? Should it differ from using the button in the UI? What does
it do right now on X11 or other platforms?

>     since there are a billion other ways a client can misbehave and you
>>     are not stopping them all with this one api.
>>
>> Like what?
>>

> A client can ignore attempts to close it with the close box.

Are you talking about simply having a minimize button in the server-side
decoration that does nothing? Or are you talking about the compositor
forcibly minimizing a window with e.g. a keyboard shortcut?

The former is an application bug (the button does nothing because it was
wired to do nothing), and while it's certainly frustrating from a user
perspective, the compositor can still forcibly minimize or close the window.

--
  Jasper