Weston : ideas about xdg_sell, and implementation for a taskbar

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 22:11:39 PST 2014

Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

>     A toolbox over a painting program that has two documents open.
>
> So, what is the expected behavior here exactly? There's a minimize
> button on both of the content window's decorations, and clicking on one
> should minimize all three windows?

Clicking minimize of one of the documents makes only the document
disappear. But then clicking on the minimize of the other document makes
both the document and toolbox disappear.

> What should using the "minimize keyboard shortcut" functionality of your
> compositor do? Should it differ from using the button in the UI? What
> does it do right now on X11 or other platforms?

It should do EXACTLY the same thing as a minimize button. Any different
behavior is a bug.

>     A client can ignore attempts to close it with the close box.
>
> Are you talking about simply having a minimize button in the server-side
> decoration that does nothing? Or are you talking about the compositor
> forcibly minimizing a window with e.g. a keyboard shortcut?
>
> The former is an application bug (the button does nothing because it was
> wired to do nothing), and while it's certainly frustrating from a user
> perspective, the compositor can still forcibly minimize or close the window.

I would expect that a compositor shortcut key to close a window would
first try sending a message to the app saying it wants to close, and the
app can decide to not close (ideally by asking the user if they are
sure, and the user says no). If it just killed the app or destroyed the
window that could be very user-unfriendly and I am rather suprised
anybody would suggest that.

If an app is non-cooperative the compositor can do some stuff. For close
it can kill the client if it is not responding to pings. Minimize
probably should also force-hide the surface after a timeout even if the
client is responding to pings. However this fallback stuff should not be
part of the Wayland api and can be left up to the compositor writers to
decide.