Window placement

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:43:34 PDT 2014

On 07/01/2014 11:20 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> Btw. did you ever consider, that the saved window position blobs could
> be compositor-specific? I mean, the client could save a blob for each
> compositor it has been running on separately, so you only need
> reposition your windows from scratch on the first time you open that
> app on that specific compositor. Use a different compositor for a
> while, then come back, and you have your old setup you had here before.

That could work, provided the client can tell whether a blob corresponds
to the compositor (to send the right one, and more importantly to
replace the correct one with a new blob). This will make the client more
complex but it might as well then also store a different blob for each
output arrangement, too (ie it would treat different output arrangments
as different compositors). The cross-platform problem would be solved
(mostly) because the user only has to fix the layout once when they
switch platforms.

I still feel you are going to have clients peeking into these "blobs"
and extracting the window position, and creating their own blobs. I very
much doubt that documentation saying this is wrong will stop it, and you
will end up with an api that all compositors have to obey to set window
positions. So if you really think this information should not be
available to clients, I would continue trying it as you are doing now,
and not think about "blobs".