x11/GLX/GL on top of wayland

Sylvain BERTRAND sylware at legeek.net
Fri Jul 4 06:41:08 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Kalrish Bäakjen wrote:
> If I have understood you correctly, GLX (the means for setting up an OpenGL
> context under X) will interact with the XWayland instance, which will then,
> in turn, interact with the Wayland compositor, giving it the image rendered
> by its client. So, AFAIK, legacy applications that use GLX should work fine
> with XWayland - unless, of course, they use X-specific paths.
>
> Was that what you were referring to?

Yes. But legacy apps could use X-specific paths since then would see only x11.
I'm takling about a full xorg/GLX/GL driver stack on wayland. The
driver would not be an hardware driver... but a wayland
compositor driver. My guess is the current implementation gives
basic x11 support. I was wondering about a full GLX/GL stack as
well.
Coze steam is arriving on gnu/linux hardcore, and that with many closed
source games which will be sticking, probably, to x11/GLX/xorg.
(Open source games or closed source games using open source
middleware will be able to do a native wayland switch though).

--
Sylvain