Keysym event in the text protocol

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Mon Jul 28 10:58:28 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am just going to have to study this further, because I am still
> completely stumped as to why so many people think this is an acceptable
> solution.
>
> This sounds to me like either the ability to transmit an entire xkb
> description across the wire is added to the wayland protocol

Bill. Please. Can you at least *look* at the current protocol before you
write your current emails? Because this is why we get frustrated.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/tree/protocol/wayland.xml#n1508

The XKB keymap is sent across the wire to every client. And has been since
Wayland 1.0, which was released over a year ago.

> or that there is a fake keyboard, not matching any real hardware, which
> can produce all possible keysyms and the "keycode" is simply an encoding
> method.
>
> I have been repeatedly burned by NX getting the keyboard descriptions
> wrong, requiring me to run a *different* xmodmap depending on the host I am
> calling in from, so I do not consider this a theoretical question.

We will make this use case work, if it is not working already We may not
use your exact solution and design ideas.

> On 07/28/2014 02:57 AM, Hardening wrote:
>
>  Not sure to understand about RDP. In RDP the the client sends some
>> informations describing the layout, and sent keycodes are in fact
>> "virtual keycodes" that are to be interpreted regarding the layout (not
>> even talking of different kind of keyboards mac / pc). That's why in the
>> RDP compositor we try to find a nice xkb file for a given RDP layout (so
>> keycodes will be translated to evdev layout at the end).
>>
>> Regards.

  Jasper