[Question] Z-order management in Wayland

yan.wang at linux.intel.com yan.wang at linux.intel.com
Thu Jul 31 01:57:44 PDT 2014

Hi, Carsten,
  Thanks for your comments.
  I check efl code and I found
_ecore_wl_window_cb_xdg_surface_active/deactivate is empty.
  As your comments, we should add code into them and pop related Ecore
event out. Is it right?
  I could also find ecore_wl_window_raise() in ecore_wl_window.c. It
shouldn't be used?
  And I am not sure whether USE_XDG_SHELL macro is enabled in current
Tizen upstream.

Yan Wang

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 01:02:33 -0700 (PDT) yan.wang at linux.intel.com said:
>
>> E.g. When we start a new application on mobile platform, previous running
>> application could be hidden and paused to reduce power consuming and
improve response speed. If we could adjust and get z-order status, we
>> could callback application to sleep. And when user restart this
application, we could just make this slept app waked up.

> you do NOT want to do this by raise/lower. even doing this in x11 is
just
> WRONG. in fact a good mobile wm setup would refuse to allow this. there
is
> netwm request "netwm activate". this requests the window is activated.
this MAY
> raise the window. it may switch desktop. it may de-iconify a window. it may
> also place focus on the window... unless the wm decides that this is a
bad
> idea
> right now.
>
> you do NOT want a raise/lower etc. in wayland. you want xdg shell and an
activate request. the compositor after that decides what is best to do.