[ANNOUNCE] libinput 0.4.0

Lyude thatslyude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 23:59:04 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 23:40 -0700, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> Yeah Peter, I know how to apply a patch and no, I don't have any of
> them in my inbox, that's why I've asked what was wrong in my
> process ... right now I'm on Gmail in chrome and wayland-devel channel
> and zero attachment whatsoever.

If you're referring to e-mail attachments that's not what he's getting
at. When you apply a patch off the mailing list you literally apply the
e-mail itself, not an attachment. Hence why you'd use git-am instead of
git-apply. git-am takes a saved copy of the e-mail (in mbox format),
extracts the inline patch for you, and applies it to the tree. It's
somewhat of a different process then just applying a plain old patches.

It's a very different system then most projects nowadays use, since most
projects will just do pull requests and that sort of stuff :). So seeing
misunderstandings like this isn't at all unusual or something to be
disheartened about. We're not the only project to do it though, you'll
see that the linux kernel requires you to submit patches in this manner
too. It's mostly done because with organized projects like this, having
the ability to easily review a patch inline is necessary to discuss
changes in the protocol, point out typos and errors in patches, etc.
There are alternatives for this, for example Github has the ability to
allow you to comment inline on commits in pull requests, but a lot of
people here just prefer to use their e-mail clients and whatever text
editor they fancy.

Hope I clarified things a bit!

Cheers,
	Lyude