Window placement

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Jun 29 08:55:13 PDT 2014

Em dom 29 jun 2014, às 17:44:46, Fabrice Rey escreveu:
> Hi,
> First thank you for hard work on Wayland/X.
>
> As I understand, there is no window placement on the client side in Wayland.
> Because of that, a desklet application can't place its desklets on the
> desktop. Currently in Weston, they are automatically placed (randomly, each
> time at a different position).
> How is this going to be addressed by Wayland ?

By the application and the compositor they're designed for having a specific
extension that they use to negotiate the position. The compositor may allow
this extension only to known applications it launches. Or maybe not at all:
the compositor may want to do that only via plugins running on the compositor
itself.

Either way, as far as I know, the process is not going to be standardised.

> Another similar problem is that when receiving a Configure event, the
> position is not in the event. So for instance in GTK the coordinates are
> always (0;0).

That's expected. Any application knows only about its own windows and never
knows about the global position.

> This is problematic, because the application might want to display things
> differently depending on where it is.
> For instance, on right-click, the desklet would pop the menu above it if
> it's in the bottom half of the screen, and vice-versa.

This kind of issue should be solved on the particular use-case, as opposed to
telling the application about its global position. This should be solved for
all kinds of popups, including menus.

> It seems that xdg-shell is to bring answers to these kind of
> desktop-specific problems, so is this planned to be added in this interface
> ?
>
> Fabounet.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358