Bug 78372 - create multiple windows with offset

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Thu May 8 11:31:11 PDT 2014

I don't know how you can have been on the Wayland mailing list for this
long and not grasp core Wayland protocol concepts. Clients cannot get
global surface positions, and it's been that way since day 1 six years ago.
I also have never seen a patch or a line of code from you, ever.

It's incredibly frustrating to talk to you, since you seem to have your own
imagination of what the Wayland protocol is, and what it provides to
clients.

Go and write a simple Wayland client, read the wayland.xml file, do
anything to try to understand the actual Wayland protocol as it exists
today. Until you show that you've made some attempt at properly
understanding the protocol today, I'm going to ignore all messages from
you, since you're just wasting my time otherwise.

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/07/2014 10:54 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>
>  This is similar to session save/restore, lacking a better term for it.
>> We do not even pretend to support or enable this yet. It is just yet one
>> more feature that the shell protocol suite for desktop should cover,
>> but so far no-one has done any work on it AFAIK.
>>
>> If there is not one already, you are welcome to open a feature request
>> bug about application layout save/restore.
>>

> But the only practical method I can see is to allow the client to query
> and set the output and x/y position of any surface directly.
>
> For portability it would help if each output was given an x/y in some
> global space so that only a single x/y must be stored (it is ok if the
> client has to translate from global x/y to output + x/y, but there is a
> requirement that the compositor can be queried for these output x/y).
>
> As any such x/y position has been explicitly stated as being disallowed by
> Wayland, I am a bit stumped as to what, if any, solution is being imagined.
>
> Possibly you are reading the words "save/restore" literally, in that you
> are imagining some blob of data stored in the compositor that is recognized
> to restore the layout. However this is NOT what is wanted. Clients must be
> able to generate a usable layout the first time they are run, they must be
> able to do something intelligent if the set of windows changes from that in
> the saved layout, and use a layout from one system on another (including
> cross-platform), and be able to choose layouts from a list and add the
> current layout as a new item on the list.

  Jasper