Bug 78372 - create multiple windows with offset

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:13:34 PDT 2014

Yes I know that. I said EXACTLY that in my email:

 >     As any such x/y position has been explicitly stated as being
 >     disallowed by Wayland...

Maybe my email is hard to read. I have a SIMPLE question:

"Can you supply a vague idea on how you imagine a client can control
it's window layout without adding an x/y position to the api."

Unless there is an answer to this question I see no reason to make a
feature request that, as far as I can tell, is impossible to fulfill.

> I also have never seen a patch or a line of code from you, ever.

I posted the same patch for the xserver for 6 months to allow it to read
a different xorg.conf file. I finally got sick of being ignored and gave
up, also recent xwayland can now work on a non-EGL wayland without
having a special xorg.conf file, thus "fixing" it for me. However the
underlying bug still exists and I'm sure there will be text that has to
be in one xorg.conf file or the other that makes the other server choke.
Maybe then somebody will fix it.

I would love to work on Wayland, but until I can be confident that I am
compiling and running it correctly there is little I can do. I have
posted questions about whether anybody else is seeing the rendering
errors in X clients, and whether EGL clients should work on a non-EGL
backend, but have not gotten any response, despite the fact that I am
only interested in trivial yes/no answers.