FreeBSD libinput

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Nov 25 02:24:35 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:37:47PM -0700, Ales Katona wrote:
> Hey,
>
> as far as I know epoll is only available on freeBSD via the linux
> compatibility kernel + libraries layer, which is not installed by default.
> There is kqueue which is an arguably better event handling mechanism.
> There's an existing patch for such a rewrite here:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-February/007442.html
> from Philip Withnall. I'm not sure where this patch is supposed to be
> applied to as the files in it are not corresponding to libinput sources,

looks like it's for the wayland repo.

> but what he did could be done here with current libinput. Best method would
> probably be to write a basic abstraction on top of the polling mechanism
> and have individual mechanisms implementing it in stand-alone .c files.

yeah, I don't want to have an ifdef mess. having said that, the three big
things that I can see are epoll, timerfd and evdev. The latter of which was
missing last time I checked and I never heard back from the GSoC student -
has that been merged yet?

> My biggest hurdle right now is the mtdev dependency since that library is
> linux specific.

chances are that you won't see devices that rely on mtdev for a while. it's
safe to ignore that/work around missing mtdev.

Cheers,
   Peter