Question about multi-displays control on wayland protocol‏

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 04:10:02 PDT 2014

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 06:34:21 +0000
Yang Andy <williamyang13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I have one question about multi-displays control on wayland protocol.
>
> I want to control dual displays on wayland protocol.
>
> For example,Display1 which is used to render map,while display2 which is used to render mp3-palyer.
>
> Could anyone give me some advice about how to design the software architecture based on wayland protocol?
>
> [wayland/weston version]
> 1.5
>
> [TizenIVI version]
> TizenCommon

I think that will be specific to the shell protocol you will be using.

All outputs are advertized as globals, but you need a shell to able to
direct surfaces to specific outputs, and perhaps to identify which
output you want to pick. That is when you want the application to
choose which output it occupies.

In your example use case, it might be more appropriate to leave the
output assignment for the window manager, and just communicate the
purpose of the surface to the window manager. That too will happen
through a shell.