Wayland and Weston 1.6.0 released
ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 03:51:32 PDT 2014
this is the Wayland and Weston release 1.6.0. The SHA1s are:
339e83aa579569711cd14623ca4b2db46256b766 wayland 1.6.0 tag
2858cc2a50854685b44eee72994dea57f5aa4246 weston 1.6.0 tag
Website update with download links will follow soon.
Here are some notable changes.
- Add error enums to wl_surface.
- Add keyboard repeat information to wl_keyboard protocol.
- Error handling additions in libwayland-client: when a protocol error
happens, the program can query more detailed information about the
error. This is mostly useful for tests to ensure correct errors.
- New wl_display_add_socket_auto() in libwayland-server: automatically
find a free socket name.
- Many added tests to the 'make check' suite, including a framework for
testing server-client interactions more easily.
- Threading and blocking related bug fixes.
- Add wl_display_roundtrip_queue(): blocking round-trip on a custom
- Stop exposing wl_display global. Turns out binding to the global
would have triggered bugs, and there was no proper use for it.
- Xdg-shell protocol changes. Yes, we broke it again since 1.5.0.
- Add weston_layer masking mechanism.
- DRM-backend: fetch cursor size from the kernel
- keyboard repeat rate support, sent from compositor to clients,
- Use wl_display_add_socket_auto(): no need to specify the socket
anymore when running Weston under Weston, it just works now.
- Use libinput by default. The non-libinput input backend is still
there right now, but it will be removed for 1.7.
- A few more desktop-shell configuration bits.
- 'make distcheck' actually works OOTB without custom tweaks (by
disabling the xwayland test for distcheck for now).
- Exit Weston, if weston-desktop-shell dies too early. Should help with
one class of "just black screen" problems.
- Option to force numlock on at start on DRM and fbdev backends.
- Many bug fixes, of course.
The 1.7 development cycle starts next week. The schedule up to 1.7.0
- 1.7-alpha release in mid-January 2015, around January 16th, so people
have a couple of weeks after holidays to push the last minute stuff.
This is the deadline for any big features.
- 1.7-rc1 around January 30th. Only bug fixes after this.
- 1.7-rc2 around February 6th.
- 1.7.0 release around February 13th, Friday. Oops! ;-)
More information about the wayland-devel