How to maintain relative position of two surfaces?

Hongze Zhao zhaohongze at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:16:45 PDT 2014

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for reply.

Here is my use case.

Suppose we have a client called "father", who has a larger surface called
"father surface" and a client called "child", whose smaller surface is
"child surface". The child surface should be displayed in a given relative
position above father surface and maintain their relative position. When I
move father surface, the child surface will be moved together. But the
child surface cannot be moved. Thus the child surface will looks like a
part of father surface. I just need it works in the simplest scenario. I
assume the two surfaces is in the same workspace, both surfaces cannot be
resized, maximized or fullscreened. The two clients and compositor should
work together to achieve this goal.

I know this is a weird use case. I am just wondering if there is some
natural or easy way to implement this functionality. Or I have to do a lot
of modifications.

Thanks,
Hongze