How to maintain relative position of two surfaces?

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Wed Sep 24 16:54:55 PDT 2014

The only way to position surfaces relatively one to another is by using a
subsurface. But I imagine this isn't exactly what you want.

Can you explain a bit more about your use case? What happens if I put one
surface on a different workspace from the others? Should the two be stacked
independently (e.g. your window A, my terminal, your window B)? What
happens when I resize the surfaces? Or maximize or fullscreen them?

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Hongze Zhao <zhaohongze at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am doing some experiments on weston compositor. I am wondering if
> someone could give me some hints about how to maintain relative position of
> two surfaces.
>
> Suppose I have two wayland clients. After I grab and move the surface of
> one client, I would like to maintain the relative positions of the the
> surfaces from two clients. Thus I have to automatically update the position
> of the other surface.
>
> I feel that surface position is stored in an instance of weston_view,
> which is mainly maintained by desktop-shell. So I am not sure if there is
> some easy way to achieve my goal by modifying desktop-shell.
>
> Thanks,
> Hongze

  Jasper