Synaptics LED support

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Apr 14 21:25:14 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:50:47PM +0300, George Sedov wrote:
> > what I'm more concerned about: if it's 4 years later - how many devices
> > still have that functionality? I'm hesitant to add a feature that only works
> > on laptops that have been discontinued a significant amount of time ago.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >    Peter
>
> Yes, I think there still are the devices with this feature. While I
> don't have any solid proof, here is a picture of the latest HP laptop
> workstation HP ZBook 17:
>
> http://17c4dcd7f91259d8cc66-f5932f6db0039e8c02f89a70c334ff0e.r2.cf1.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/Mousepad.jpg
>
> Note the little bright dot in the upper left corner of the touchpad: I
> _think_ it's that, although it may be just dust, but it looks like the
> one my touchpad has. The specs for the laptop has only this: "touchpad
> with on/off button, two-way scroll, gestures, three pick buttons". I
> don't see any other buttons on it.
>
> Also, the picture of the HP ZBook 14 where the LED is unmistakable:
>
> http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/HP/ZBook_14/051.jpg

yep, and the datasheed says so too:
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/html/pdfs/HP_ZBook_17_WW_DataSheet_8-30-13.pdf

> So, yes, I think this feature is still in production.

right. in that case please file an RFE bug against libinput. quick check of
the kernel source however shows that the kernel patch never got merged
either, until that has happened we won't support it in libinput. So best to
start upstreaming the kernel patch too (or find someone interested in doing
so).

Cheers,
   Peter