Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Apr 21 21:52:18 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 06:05:02PM -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> Interesting. It does seem like a good idea to do remote by providing
> identical device api's. This probably applies to sound output too. There
> will have to be simple and obvious methods to figure out the remote machine
> so that all other devices besides the display go to the same one, and there
> will have to be network apis designed for each of them. But this may be a
> way to avoid having every aspect of remote hardware encoded into wayland
> messages.
>
> If a client opens a device, will that interfere with wayland's reading of
> the device? For instance if the client opens the mouse, will wayland still
> get the mouse position such that it can revoke access when the cursor moves
> out of the window?

unless one client issues an EVIOCGRAB on the fd, any other client will
continue to see events (and the event stream is the same on all fds). We use
this for debugging already and it is why things like evemu-record work even
when your graphical session is running.

The real problem regarding the mouse position is that you now rely on the
client and the compositor to calculate the cursor position exactly the same
way. If not, you may end up leaving the window when the cursor as drawn by
the client is nowhere near an edge (think of in-game menus).

relative input - the solution then was to grab the xorg pointer (i.e.
pointer locking). You can't rely on the relative events alone here.

Cheers,
   Peter