Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

x414e54 x414e54 at linux.com
Wed Apr 22 21:51:36 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Peter Hutterer
<peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> The real problem regarding the mouse position is that you now rely on the
> client and the compositor to calculate the cursor position exactly the same
> way. If not, you may end up leaving the window when the cursor as drawn by
> the client is nowhere near an edge (think of in-game menus).

I am not sure it is much different to what we have today:

If they are using it for a cursor for 2D in-game menus or a remote
client it really should be using the absolute wl_pointer position
driven by all of the "SlavePointers" in X11.
e.g. MotionNotify

When you open a device for raw access you intend that you will not be
paying attention to acceleration or normalization so you cannot draw a
cursor synced with the system.
e.g. XI_RawMotion

Currently on X11 I believe you have to grab the "CorePointer" always?
But it would be much nicer if you could just detach/reattach the
single "SlavePointer" if the game was going to use that for non cursor
driven input.