[RFC wayland-protocols 1/1] Add Primary Selection Protocol Version 1

Lyude cpaul at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 13:20:14 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 10:45 -0800, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:39:05 -0500
> > Lyude <cpaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> > "clipboard".

> > paste
> > rearrage and
> > > Alright I'm a bit confused here since I'm getting conflicting opinions on
> > this.
> > > Should we be reusing the dnd protocol or not? Giulio seems to think we
> > shouldn't
> > > be reusing the data offer objects here, but I would have thought that
> > makes the
> > > most sense here seeing as the functionality of a wp_primary_(offer|source)
> > would
> > > be pretty much identical to the wl_data_(offer|source) objects.
> >
> > Giulio is right.
> >
> > You must not break the versioning (hierarchy) of protocol objects.
> > See:
> > http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/ch04.html#sect-Protocol-Versioning
> >
> > Having two different global interfaces that (or their child
> > interfaces, i.e. the interfaces of objects that can be created from
> > these) can create objects with the same interface will not allow
> > that interface to be extended, because the interface version becomes
> > ambiguous.
> >
> > Examples of interfaces that are already impossible to extend are
> > wl_buffer and wl_callback. For wl_buffer there is a good reason to
> > break the rule and take the hit of being stuck at version 1
> > forever, but I think it was more of an accident than intentional
> > design originally.
> He is not creating the DnD objects with the new api, just reusing them.

*She, not he please :)

Anyway, if that's the case I'll probably look into just creating an event that
has text from the primary selection as opposed to a wl_data_offer. This would
also get rid of the need to support non-text objects in this protocol anyway
(which X doesn't support to begin with, so that's no big deal).

--
Cheers,
	Lyude