[RFC wayland-protocols 1/1] Add Primary Selection Protocol Version 1

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:06:24 PST 2015

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:20:14 -0500
Lyude <cpaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 10:45 -0800, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > "clipboard".

> > > paste
> > > rearrage and
> > > this.
> > > shouldn't
> > > makes the
> > > would
> > >
> > > Giulio is right.
> > >
> > > You must not break the versioning (hierarchy) of protocol objects.
> > > See:
> > > http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/ch04.html#sect-Protocol-Versioning
> > >
> > > Having two different global interfaces that (or their child
> > > interfaces, i.e. the interfaces of objects that can be created from
> > > these) can create objects with the same interface will not allow
> > > that interface to be extended, because the interface version becomes
> > > ambiguous.
> > >
> > > Examples of interfaces that are already impossible to extend are
> > > wl_buffer and wl_callback. For wl_buffer there is a good reason to
> > > break the rule and take the hit of being stuck at version 1
> > > forever, but I think it was more of an accident than intentional
> > > design originally.
> > He is not creating the DnD objects with the new api, just reusing them.
> >
> *She, not he please :)
>
> Anyway, if that's the case I'll probably look into just creating an event that
> has text from the primary selection as opposed to a wl_data_offer. This would
> also get rid of the need to support non-text objects in this protocol anyway
> (which X doesn't support to begin with, so that's no big deal).

That will put a size limit on the selection. A limit that users might
actually hit, since it's not too many pages. I forget the
implementation details in libwayland on what the limit actually is, but
it might be one page per message. I don't think we have documented the
limit anywhere, and you cannot deduce it from the wire format.

You might want to confirm what the limit is and if it's ok.