weston flip a null frame first before start launcher

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 03:05:33 PST 2015

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 18:27:48 +0800
zou lan <nancy.lan.zou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi pekka & others
>
> I find weston flip a null frame before start the launcher
> weston-desktop-shell. So there is always a black surface flash before the
> launcher. That doesn't have the relationship with the animation mode.
> I think it's caused by the code weston_output_init which call
> the weston_output_damage.
>
> weston_output_damage will paint nothing if the animation mode is noe and
> flip one frame.
>
> Does this frame is normal or my implementions have problems?  Thank you.
> I try it on weston version 1.8 and 1.9.
>
> weston.ini
> [shell]
> animation=none
> startup-animation=none
> client=/usr/lib/weston/weston-desktop-shell

Hi Nancy,

I think this commit explains some aspects of it:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/commit/?id=23ed5f2526e97d11df35cd8d9a9c7b95b635e225
Looks like 1.7.93 was the first release to include that patch.

What you see is how Weston is written, AFAIU. Nothing wrong on your
part.

Hmm, yeah, I suppose we could delay the very first repaint until after
the shell client signals ready, or at least until something causes a
real need for repaint.

In fact the x11-backend shows the same issue, it flips to one frame of
garbage before showing the desktop.