Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jul 15 05:09:54 PDT 2015

On 29 June 2015 at 20:22, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 7:32 AM, x414e54 <x414e54 at linux.com> wrote:
>> Clients do not draw the mouse cursor, either the GPU (using hardware
>> overlays) or the WM does.
>
> Yes, I want to allow clients to use this CPU/WM support. Currently the
> client *has* to draw the cursor (and hide the hardware one) to sync it's
> position with the drawing. If instead the client just *moves* the cursor,
> then the cursor is actually drawn by the compositor like you say.

I haven't read the vast majority of this thread, but this isn't really
true. There's nothing special about the cursor in drawing: just hide
the cursor, create a small subsurface with SHM buffers, and Weston
will use the hardware cursor as it would for an actual cursor surface.
Problem solved.

Cheers,
Daniel