Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:44:59 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM, x414e54 <x414e54 at linux.com> wrote:

> You are either just trolling or have no idea what you are talking
> about and have never tried to implement anything you are saying.

> I stopped listening at "The render loop would be sending the
> cursor-positioning request.". Not sure how you cannot see the problem
> with this.

   static atomic cursor_xy;

   event_loop {
      read_event();
      cursor_xy = cursor_xy_from_events();
   }

   render_loop {
       set_cursor_position(cursor_xy);
   }

Sorry I don't see any problem. Are you concerned that the number of
set_cursor_position calls may differ from the number of mouse movements?

I will be blocking your e-mail address and disregarding any input you
> have in any future discussion. It is just a waste of time to continue
> this discussion.

Whatever.

> Sorry, I am actually genuinely trying to improve the protocol for some
> of the ways games currently work based on my Windows to Linux porting
> experience. Also trying to make it easier to support 3d input devices
> and 3d compositors using something like the HTC Vive. My suggestions
> may not be the right ones but they seriously better than some of the
> junk you have suggested.

I appreciate that and think the pointer lock is really close, and
experience with games is very useful to make an api that serves multiple
purposes. All I am trying to do is make a trivial change to your proposal
so that the pointer-lock can be used to make a "slow cursor" or a
trackball-locked cursor as well as supporting games. My change to your
proposal is exactly this:

- The "cursor hint" actually moves the cursor!

Since your proposal requires the client to hide the cursor, and there is no
visible difference between what a user sees when an invisible cursor is
moved, my change makes no difference to any program that is currently using
the pointer lock.