weston-desktop-shell

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 03:43:48 PDT 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:18:03 +0300
Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:17:58 +0000
> Nancy Zou <Nancy.Zou at csr.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear all:
> >
> > When I set other Weston clients in the Weston.ini instead of
> > Weston-deskto-shell, then start Weston is very slow. It cost about
> > 16s. The Weston-desk-shell only cost 3s. Does there any big
> > difference between Weston-desktop-shell and other Weston client
> > examples(for example, Weston-fullscreen)?
> >
> > It is really puzzle me, could anyone can give me some hints. Thank
> > you.
>
> I don't know about the slowness, but you are not meant to put random
> Wayland apps in place of weston-desktop-shell.
>
> Weston-desktop-shell is a special helper client to the desktop shell
> plugin of Weston, and it has special responsibilities and privileges.
> If a client running in its stead does not implement those
> responsibilities, the desktop does not work as expected.

Btw. even the 3 seconds sounds awfully long. What platform is this and
which backend/renderer?

Did you pass some --with-cairo= option to Weston's configure?

Does the desktop fade in from black, or does it just jump out after 3
seconds?

Does it make a difference if you put

[shell]
startup-animation=none

in your weston.ini?

The 16 seconds delay happens because the application you replaced
weston-desktop-shell with does not do the job of weston-desktop-shell.
There is a 15 second timeout to show the desktop in case
weston-desktop-shell fails to signal ready.